Thursday, August 12, 2010

Profound Thoughts


Sharing some profound thoughts. Sometimes as a professional photographer I get asked a variety of questions, requests and also demands. As I mentor young and upcoming photographers I am met with similar questions and because of this, I am going to share some of my thoughts on a few business thoughts. I am confident that for the most part Photographers are Artists and they want people to enjoy, love and ultimately want their images, so much so that some photographers are known for giving away their images either free or at little cost. Now this isn’t a bad idea if you want to be a hobbyist photographer, and advance some of your skills. However; there is a stigma that comes along with not charging for your work and like it or not you may find yourself in a position which will feel like forever as being known as the “Cheap picture person, photographer, artist, creator (you pick the title, it still is the free or cheap photographer at the end of the day)”. It is extremely hard, if not sometimes impossible, to break out of the stereotype of giving away your images without any regard to your talent once that opinion is set in concrete. That doesn’t even touch on the issue of giving away your digital files to be modified or compromised, that is simply a slap in your face. It takes time to learn and perfect your craft, it takes money to purchase quality professional cameras and lenses (and yes you can purchase a digital SLR and set it to AUTO and shoot in JPG, but that doesn’t make you a professional photographer or an artist) it also takes money to continue your ever growing education, supporting professional organizations in the industry such as PPA, WPPI, etc. (I’ll only add one thought to think about, do you go to a doctor that isn’t board certified or doesn’t hold a license to practice medicine?). Ultimately the “Free/Cheap” photographer is damaging the Professional Industry and not only leaving a forever scar on their potential professional future but the overall integrity of quality portraiture and professional images. I could spend so much time on this that it could bore the frost off of a frozen steak but I’m not going to. My point is simple, you get what you pay for, the experience and ultimate final images are forever and I prefer to think of myself as an image maker and story teller, not a picture taker. Be proud of what you are getting, the piece of art which is being created personally for you of you or your family is not to be taken lightly, it is an heirloom in the works. If you go to an auto dealer, don’t expect your car purchased at “Bullwinkle’s Used Car” to roll out like a new Cadillac Escalade. It just doesn’t work that way. My clients do not go to auto dealers and say “show me the cheapest thing you have on the lot”, they educate themselves in what they are looking for and shop appropriately. Have you ever thought of going to a quality auto dealer and if they have a “cheaper model”, do you not want to ask “WHAT’S WRONG WITH IT”.
Now on the flip side of that coin, I’ll tell you I do want people to love my work and ultimately I make many avenues available so that Katherine Payne Photography is affordable even when it doesn’t appear to be possible. Between my promotions and referral programs, my return clients find updating their wall portraits a matter of routine. I do offer web share/digital files so my clients can share their personal images on Facebook or MySpace or their personal blogs with limited restrictions. I am also willing to sell my digital files on an individual image basis if that is something my client is looking for. I’ve kept an open door to listening to all possible questions and sometimes the answer is yes, so I guess in closing, the best advice I can give is if you want it, need it or desire it, you must first ask for it. My crystal ball doesn’t read the minds of potential clients so make the call, start the dialogue and start a lasting relationship capturing your images and writing your stories.
Look forward to hearing from you!
Best Regards Always
Katherine

No comments: